Sunday, August 2, 2009

Seek Knowledge or Walk Ignorance?

Assalamualaikum Wrm Wbt

May this post reach my dearest readers in your best iman and amal biiznillah.

My post today is mainly about ‘Knowledge’...subhanallah it is an interesting topic to speak of. Along my journey of life in the UK, I was so thankful to have met friends who put in a lot of effort and interest into gaining knowledge. Reading plenty of journals, books and the news! Subhanallah..that's a lot of time and energy put together...but if you add a bowl of interest and a spoon of effort, it would give you the best recipe of life. A wise sahabah once said, “Without knowledge action is useless and knowledge without action is futile. [Abu Bakr As Siddiq]. A very interesting and significant statement to benefit every single muslim in this world and that's including me, myself and I. This post is not only meant for my fellow readers but it is also a reminder and a motivator for me to appreciate knowledge. This message is to convey the importance of knowledge in our daily muslims’ life in order to contribute towards the resurrection of Islam in this world.

Alhamdulillah..alhamdulillah..alhamdulillah wa astaghfirullah. I am very thankful to Allah to have bestowed upon me with families and friends who love knowledge and had encouraged me to do the same. I used to be a book worm when I was young. Reading adventurous books like Nancy Drew and a few others from several different authors used to give me an active imagination. But that is beside the point...What I am trying to say is..the fact that I read books had made me feel good about myself. However, as I grew up, that habit faded away hence leaving me to be a rather empty person. Hmmm..it hurts to have that particular feeling. You feel empty without knowledge.


Speaking of knowleddge, suddenly it reminds me of Kak Ila..my sister in law..Kak Ila enjoys reading...A LOT!!!! I envy her..hehe in a good way ye kak ila..of course. I want to have that joyous feeling again when it comes to reading...The best part is that when Kak Ila tells us what she read, she relates the subject or the story plot with Islam and our way of life. Once we went into MPH, as Kak Ila wanted to buy a book. While we were queueing up to pay, there was a lady at the cashier whom was waiting for the books that she bought to be wrapped. Kak Ila saw the set of books and smirked at me, "I've read them all. They were very interesting". I was like...WOW!!! That's 5/6 books in a row...mind you...they were not thin, small books. All of them were thick. Kak Ila really inspires me to be more persistant when it comes to reading. Not necessarily you have to read books with hard cold facts...add a gist of variety in your quest of seeking knowledge. It will give you a creative mind plus it makes you a totally different person when dealing with your daily life.

It is true as what had been quoted from Saidina Abu Bakr about not having knowledge...it is true..you do not know what is going on and you loose interest about everything except yourself. You will be living in fantasy rather than reality. Since I stopped reading..I learnt to be easily bored with watching news and anything that has relation to reading or knowledge. I tend to get sleepy. Not even a full 10 minutes! I tried developing the habit again but it was too difficult to start with other distractions like television, internet and other daily commitments.

Hmmmm.....Excuses...Excuses! Sad Face Emi!

Always remember 1 of 10 of the muwasafat tarbiyyah: "Wide range of knowledge"....It is very crucial for us to gain as much knowledge as we could. Alhamdulillah wa Astaghfirullah...since I was blessed with the chance to walk on this path, I began to learn the essentiality of knowledge especially as a muslim. A wise man once quoted, " No Islam Without Knowledge" [Sayyid Abul A'la Al Maududi]. Clearly it is impossible to become a Muslim and remain a Muslim in a state of ignorance. Maududi again mentioned that:

"Being born in Muslim homes, bearing Muslim names, dressing like Muslims and calling yourselves Muslims is not enough to make you Muslims. True Muslims know what Islam stands for and believe in it with full consciousness."

Have we ever ask ourselves...what is the real difference between a Kafir (a non-muslim: who does not accept God's guidance and is ungrateful to Him) and a Muslim? Any idea? You there? Staring at the screen?

The difference is not that of a name, that one is called Samy, Ho Chi Ming or Ahmad. According to Maududi, no one is a Kafir or a Muslim simply because of his name. Nor does the real difference lie in the fact that one wears a necktie and the other wears a turban. The real deal is that of knowledge. A Kafir does not understand God's relationship to him and his relationship to God. As he does not know the will of God he cannot know the right path to follow in his life.

Think about it....! If a Muslim grows up ignorant of God's will, what ground can there be to continue calling him a Muslim rather than a Kafir?

"It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah. But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding. " [Ali Imran:7]


Take home message:

To all Muslims out there...let's seek as much knowledge as we could while we are still breathing and make ourselves a better muslim. Don't let yourselve astray alone in the dark.


Wallahua'lam. May this post benefit all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment